My Frugal Sunday Dinner

Monday, February 22, 2010

Yesterday, I made a delicious Sunday dinner for some of my extended family. Before I get to the menu, I have to share that it required no extra trips to the grocery store. I opened up my freezer and pantry and put together a fantastic spread.

The menu:
Garlic Crusted Pork Tenderloin
Roasted Red Potatoes
Honey Glazed Roasted Carrots
Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
Cantaloupe
Apple/Cherry pie

A meal like this could have cost a pretty penny, but because I stocked up when things were on sale, I didn't feel the pinch. I bought the pork when Albertsons had their buy 1 get 2 free deal. The red potatoes and carrots came from a Sunflower Market sale. Normally, I would have made the rolls, but I got the Hawaiian Sweet Rolls a couple of weeks ago for less than what it would cost to make them myself. The cantaloupe was on sale this week, and the pie was from the Safeway bakery and reduced to $0.99 (again, no way I could have made a pie for this)!

This just goes to show you that by shopping the sales and stockpiling food in your pantry and freezer, you can quickly put together a great meal for company without breaking your budget. Check out my recipe for the pork below.


Garlic Crusted Pork Tenderloin
2 cups Panko bread crumbs
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 TBSP dried thyme
1/2 TBSP onion powder
1 TSP black pepper
1/2 TBSP coarse salt
4-5 lb. pork tenderloin
olive oil

1. Sprinkle the bottom of your roasting pan with olive oil before adding the pork to the pan.
2. Mix bread crumbs, garlic, and seasonings together in a small bowl.
3. Spread bread crumb mixture over the pork and pat into the meat.
4. Cover pan with foil and bake at 300 degrees Farenheit for 4 hours (or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees).
5. Let meat rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing to maintain juiciness.
6. Enjoy! If you want to, use the pan drippings to make a delicious gravy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Theme by New wp themes | Bloggerized by Dhampire